Thursday, September 11, 2014

A Faith of Their Own

It is my deepest desire that my children would develop a strong faith of their own, based on their own convictions, knowledge, and experience; not based on what their dad and I have told them to believe.  We have lots of discussions in our home concerning Biblical truths.  When they ask questions we try to give them answers from scripture and not from some cartoon movie "based on" the Bible.  I think these discussions are building blocks for later in life when God begins to reveal things to them and they begin to process through their own beliefs.

The other day I had to pick my oldest up early from school because he wasn't feeling well.  He came home, slept a while, and when he got up he felt fine.  We went about our day, picked up the other boys from school, and ran some errands.

While out running errands the boys started talking about Greek Mythology.  They've read some of the Percy Jackson books which are built on stories of Greek gods.  The discussion was mainly about how the gods of Greek mythology weren't real, but made up characters.  I reminded them that people made up these gods because they were searching for God and didn't know who He was and He hadn't shown Himself to them.  It was at that point that Wyatt piped up.  These are the exact words that came out of his mouth, "I know God is the one true God.  He proved it to me today."  Ummm, what?  I asked him what he was talking about and his reply was so simple, "I was feeling so sick and I prayed and asked him to make me feel better.  I fell asleep and when I woke up, I felt great.  Only the one true God could do that."

Y'all this is it!!!  That's what I've been praying for.  He doesn't believe that God is God because I told him. He believes it because God showed him.  It was a simple way that a ten year old child could understand, but He showed himself to my son and Wyatt believed.

Please pray for the faith of your children.  Please ask God to make Himself known to them.  He will.

"since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them." Romans 1:19

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.