Wednesday, September 11, 2013

I Will Give You Rest

Tonight I am tired.  Every single muscle in body hurts.  My mind has reached its end; I am emotionally spent.  It is the end of the day and I feel like I have nothing left to give.

I wish I were in bed, but I'm waiting on laundry that has to finish the wash cycle so that it can be moved to the dryer.  I'm waiting on water to boil so that I can boil our combs and brushes.

Today I've treated 4 people for lice.  If you ever want to torture someone have them treat children for lice.  The whining, crying, and pain that will ensue is enough to drive you completely over the edge and that's not even getting into what the children will do.

I've stripped 6 beds, I've gone to Parent Night at the school, I've run errands.  Over the past two days my mind has been processing through some really hard stuff.  Things I'll write about soon.  And I'm done.

This isn't something new.  I feel like this a lot.  There is always something for me to be doing.  Always.  There are always dishes that need to be washed and put away, clothes that need to washed, toilets that need to be cleaned, floors that need to be scrubbed.  Always.  Children need help with homework, meals need to be made. I never go to bed thinking, "Boy I got everything done today. I rock."  I do go to bed thinking, "Man, today was hard and I feel like I got nothing done.  I have so much to do tomorrow."

Tonight as I was scrubbing the hardened mac-n-cheese from a pot so that I could boil our combs I was feeling really sorry for myself.  I was lamenting the hours of the day.  I was crying over my tired, weak body, and the seemingly endless chores still to be done.  Then God spoke to me, "Come to me all who are heavy laden and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28.


There you have it friends.  I need rest.  Desperately.  I'm sure many of you do too.  When was the last time I asked God for rest?  I couldn't tell you.  I have no idea if I've ever asked for that. I ask for more energy.  I ask for obedient and helpful children.  I fill my body with coffee.  I don't ask God for what he has promised me.  I don't ask him for the thing I need so desperately.

I feel a tugging in my soul to beg God for rest.  Not for sleep, not for quiet, but for rest.  Truthfully I don't even fully know what it means, but I believe that this promise from God is exactly what I need.  I believe he will give it to me and that it will be more wonderful that I can imagine.  I believe that rest that comes from him is better than anything else that I could possibly seek for my weary body and soul.


Sweet friends, do you need rest?  I know you do.  Let me encourage you to turn to your loving Father and ask him for it.  See what he has in store for you.  Will you let me know if you're joining me in this request?  I would love to pray for you.

**The above pictures were taken on my husbands trip to Ireland.  One day I will travel there and rest.**


1 comment:

  1. We so often miss out on the spiritual gift for "rest" when we're so consumed by the physical need for sleep. Great insights, Heather!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.