Thursday, July 4, 2013

Happy Independence Day!!!

I love my country.  Washington, D.C. is one of my absolute favorite places to visit because I love learning the history of my country.  Men and women who fight for freedom (in the past and present) have my utmost respect.  My brother-in-law is in the Army and he is a hero to me.

Because I love my country I also love Independence Day.  I had big plans to decorate.  If you check out my 4th of July Pinterest board you'll find lots of stellar ideas.  Unfortunately the past couple of weeks have been completely crazy.  We've had stuff going on almost every single day and night.

So instead of some big celebratory decor to show off my patriotism I have this small celebration going on, on my fireplace mantle.  By the way...this is my first home to ever have a fireplace and I am LOVING the heck out of having a mantle to decorate.


There are four vintage books, The Happy Hollisters, Four Little Blossoms at Oak Hill School, The Spirit of Democracy, and Essays: English and American.  There's also a vintage milk bottle and two jars that I decorated.  I made the jar with white lace and burlap for our St. Patrick's Day party, but it kind of goes with every holiday.  The other jar is wrapped in natural jute and then I used vintage rick rack that my mom gave me to do a red, white, and blue theme.

It's not anything fancy and it certainly doesn't shout "Happy 4th of July!" from the rooftops, but it still represents my love of my country and that makes me happy. 

Of course next year I promise no simplicity.  My house might be a patriotic spectacular that would rival the Griswald's Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.